Friday, December 12, 2014

Chili Cheese Baked Potato

Brown 1 lb. of ground turkey (93% fat free) and drain.  Add a little minced onion or some chopped fresh onion and minced fresh garlic - amounts are to your liking.  I used a heaping teaspoon of minced onion because I didn't have fresh, and I used about 3/4 of a teaspoon of minced garlic.  I also put a half of a chopped up pepper in mind to get some more veggies in there - using 1/2 a green container if following the 21DF portion containers.  I added 2 tbsp of chili powder and a 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, a pinch of kosher salt and some fresh cracked pepper.  All spices can and should be adjusted to your liking, we like things a little spicier.  From there I added an 8 oz. can of low sodium tomato sauce and a little water to make it saucy.  I was making this up as I went to decided to microwave bake some potatoes, medium sized.  If you're planning ahead, bake them in the oven if preferred.  I served the chili meat sauce with some shredded cheese on top of the baked potato (1/2 a blue container on the 21DF) and also put a dollop of plain greek yogurt on top.  I served this with a side salad of mixed greens and chopped cucumber, dressed with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil mix.  My husband and I loved this meal!  It is a healthy version of something that still tastes a little naughty, and it is really filling.  If anyone tries this I'd love to hear your comments or suggestions for improvements, as I was just totally experimenting with this!  For those on the 21DF, this plate measured out to 2 1/2 green (salad and sauce), just over 1 red because of the plain yogurt, 1-2 yellow (depends on size of potato), 1/2 blue and 1 teaspoon.  www.facebook.com/fitmindfitlife

No comments:

Post a Comment